To apply for an assistance dog, please download and print our application. After filling out the application, print and sign your name, and send it along with all required documentation to this address:
Who Is Eligible?
You are eligible if you meet the following conditions:
- You served our country in the U.S. Military, Law Enforcement, Fire Services or Emergency Medical Services.
- You now suffer from mobility impairment, traumatic brain injury (TBI), or a clinical diagnosis of a psychiatric impairment, including PTSD
- You reside within a 200 mile radius of Clarksville, Indiana
To apply for an assistant dog from Dogs Helping Heroes, you must submit the following forms, all of which are included within the application:
- Completed Application Form
- Medical History Form
- Physician Statement of Disability
- DHH Standards, Guidelines and Code of Conduct Form
- Three Personal Reference Forms
- Photo Release Form
- General Liability Release Form
- For applicants with military service: veterans must submit a copy of DD214 with separation code; active duty personnel need an Enlisted Record Brief with Social Security number removed
- For members of the Police Department, Fire Department or EMS, a letter from your commander confirming service
- A copy of your driver’s license
- Proof of income (e.g., pay stub, letter from employer, Social Security statement, bank statement, etc.)
What Happens Next?
Our Applicant Review Committee evaluates your completed applicant package to determine if you meet the requirements. Due to the limited number of dogs, satisfaction of all requirements does not guarantee that you will be provided with an assistance dog. While Dogs Helping Heroes does its best to meet the needs of qualified applicants, please understand that due to the overwhelming need for assistance dogs, awarding one of our assistance dogs is a competitive process, and we seek the best possible situation for our dogs.